About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I'm 40 something and live in Ottawa with my husband. We're from the UK and just spent the last year or so living in Hong Kong. Three very different countries. Right now I'm not sure how this Blog is going to evolve. All I know is that I have missed blogging from my Asia days, so I'm back. My other 2 blogs have felt like they had a distinct purpose, this one feels a bit different. It feels a bit like a blank canvas on which to start writing and just see what evolves, what transpires. This blog is a bit of a magical mystery tour for me. I want to go somewhere but I'm not entirely sure where just yet but perhaps the only way to find out where I want to go is to start moving. In any direction. And see where I end up.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 18

Day 18 was nearly a non event entirely, in terms of yoga practice. As it was, all I managed today was 15 minutes of meditation. But that's OK.

Today was a Big Day. Our shipment arrived. We were told our container would arrive at 8.30am, so we were up bright and early and ready ahead of time. No sign of a container though. Some men turned up on time and laid some runners on the stairs and told us it would be here very soon.  It turned up around 10am I think in the end. It was late anyway. The house was busy and very messy until around 6pm when the guys finally finished unpacking the boxes. The house was an absolute tip. Looked like a bomb had hit. Every room apart from my tiny office and a bathroom was affected. I couldn't even retreat to the safety of my yoga room as I usually can because in the shift, it is transitioning into a new space, so it had other stuff in it now. There really was no place to do yoga. Hardly even a space big enough to roll out a mat with the surrounding devastation! Maybe on the deck...after all the thaw was underway today with a balmy 7 degrees, but no...I'm not an exhibitionist nor that hardy. On top of that, we hadn't eaten properly all day because the kitchen was also under fire. All work surfaces covered and just stuff everywhere...not exactly a cooking environment! So as soon as we had the opportunity we had to go out and grab a bite...and to be frank, celebrate the safe return of our Stuff!  It is a relief to have it all back in one place again, I have to say.

We returned to the same mess we left behind and started to tackle it again, one piece of furniture/box of books at a time. I was starting by 10pm to feel overwhelmed with it all;  We were making progress but still had so far to go! So, I decided to take a break. Find the calmest place I could in the house and sit...meditate, just for a while, knowing it would help calm my mind a bit and also relieve the guilt I was feeling from having not practiced today. It helped a bit...from time to time thoughts of what I still needed to do popped up...naturally....

Having said that, I am OK with how things went today. I was not avoiding or procrastinating or making excuses...I just had a very real priority. I had to pay attention to the task in hand.  That's life, stuff happens and things are inconvenient some days. We have to make adjustments, be flexible. The encouraging thing is that I missed my yoga today and I know that tomorrow I will make sure I have time to clear a space....

No comments:

Post a Comment