About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I'm 40 something and live in Ottawa with my husband. We're from the UK and just spent the last year or so living in Hong Kong. Three very different countries. Right now I'm not sure how this Blog is going to evolve. All I know is that I have missed blogging from my Asia days, so I'm back. My other 2 blogs have felt like they had a distinct purpose, this one feels a bit different. It feels a bit like a blank canvas on which to start writing and just see what evolves, what transpires. This blog is a bit of a magical mystery tour for me. I want to go somewhere but I'm not entirely sure where just yet but perhaps the only way to find out where I want to go is to start moving. In any direction. And see where I end up.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 4

Ahhhh. Pleased to report a successful Day 4. Contractors had gracefully departed again in time for me to withdraw into my yoga room and step onto my mat at 5pm for what turned out to be a 90 minute personal practice. Today was the first day that I decided to go with my own flow, as it were, rather than follow a DVD. It's been a while (maybe a few months) since I did a personal practice of this length. While we were travelling a lot over Christmas and January, I would manage to roll out my mat every few days just long enough to ease the immediate tension from my body, but to flow for 90 minutes, well...it's been a while longer, I'm sad to say.

I'd started Day 1 with a DVD to help me; so that I didn't have to think, just follow. Be told what to do. Ultimately though, the point of this "exercise" is to get back into my personal practice, just me and my mat, so today was a big step, relatively speaking. I didn't give myself time to dwell on it too much but I was a bit curious as to whether I'd actually remember what it was I used to do, but I needn't have worried. It was rather like riding a bike. From the moment I stepped on the mat to the moment I opened my eyes after my meditation, it simply flowed from one pose to the next and it felt natural. No unnecessary pauses. Afterwards my body felt great. My mind felt calmer. I felt ready for the weekend.

Today was a reminder that my body knows what it needs. It's all very well to follow a class, and I love to do that, but once you know "the moves" then there is nothing quite like just allowing your body to decide what poses it wants to do. What was interesting for me was that my body chose some relatively strong postures today...it didn't want to stop with the sun salutations and the warriors, which often I do because I feel I should, for the benefits they will be bring, not because they are my favourite poses! Today though, my body knew that I needed energy, vitality and strength. Of body and mind! We really should trust our bodies more.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment