About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I'm 40 something and live in Ottawa with my husband. We're from the UK and just spent the last year or so living in Hong Kong. Three very different countries. Right now I'm not sure how this Blog is going to evolve. All I know is that I have missed blogging from my Asia days, so I'm back. My other 2 blogs have felt like they had a distinct purpose, this one feels a bit different. It feels a bit like a blank canvas on which to start writing and just see what evolves, what transpires. This blog is a bit of a magical mystery tour for me. I want to go somewhere but I'm not entirely sure where just yet but perhaps the only way to find out where I want to go is to start moving. In any direction. And see where I end up.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 23

Today was a significant day. An anniversary of a passing of someone special. 17 years ago.

Rather than sadden me though, it somehow brought more purpose to my day. This person was a wonderful woman who could always bring a smile to my face and was I'd say, quite instrumental in my upbringing in my younger days. She loved to walk...as do I, so today I stopped simply thinking about going out for a walk and actually did it. As I walked, I let myself remember as much as I could about her.

The way she loved to walk
The way she walked so fast that even though I was close to 50 years younger than her I often had to run to keep up with her
The way she loved to dance and would practice her charleston with me
The fat chips she used to make
The way she would almost force feed me oranges because they were filled with vitamin C
The way she always seemed to be happy
The time she let me cuddle up in bed with her when neither of us could sleep as we waited for news from the hospital the night my baby brother (number 1) was born
The way she put way too much salt on everything
The fact that she was a great Nana

It felt good to remember today. It made me smile. As it should do. Time does heal and it helps to be reminded of that at the moment.

What does all this have to do with my yoga practice? To a casual reader, nothing at all, but to me...days like this inspire me to get on my mat for many reasons. I enjoyed a vibrant yang practice followed by a calming yin practice today and it felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment