About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I'm 40 something and live in Ottawa with my husband. We're from the UK and just spent the last year or so living in Hong Kong. Three very different countries. Right now I'm not sure how this Blog is going to evolve. All I know is that I have missed blogging from my Asia days, so I'm back. My other 2 blogs have felt like they had a distinct purpose, this one feels a bit different. It feels a bit like a blank canvas on which to start writing and just see what evolves, what transpires. This blog is a bit of a magical mystery tour for me. I want to go somewhere but I'm not entirely sure where just yet but perhaps the only way to find out where I want to go is to start moving. In any direction. And see where I end up.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 19

As it turned out, today was a day that I wouldn't normally do an active yoga practice. A day when I prefer to honour my body's natural rhythms. On a practical front, today was busy...I took my pace as fast as it would allow as we have so much to do to get the house straight. Really...it's unbelievable the mess the place was in when the removal guys left yesterday. I guess integration is hard on many levels, not just emotional!

So, been cleaning and dusting and moving and washing and trying to get some order into the place. Before breakfast I was definitely feeling overwhelmed and I realised the only way to do it was to take it one step at a time. One breath at a time. Be present for the job I was doing and nothing else. My tendency is to start one job in one room, which takes me to another room...and then get completely distracted by something else in that room...and start another job there! So I tend to end up with lots of jobs started but nothing finished. It took some effort to stay focussed on the kitchen today but I knew I had to if we ever wanted to prepare food in there again.  And I did it :-)

With that achievement under my belt, I thought my body deserved some yoga despite my usual habit, so I treated it to a gentle yin practice and ended with some meditation. My body knew when it needed to come out of the poses...and my practice was a bit shorter than it would normally be, and that too is OK. Listening to my body is my main goal here, today and every day. Some days it feels good to give as much as I possibly can, other days like today, it's important to go with the flow and just take it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment